October is the usual time my non horror friends and family ask what horror movie should they go see. Paranormal Activity 2? Saw 3D? So it's fitting that Mike over @ All Things Horror posed this same question to the horror blogosphere. What horror movies do you put on for your non horror loving friends?
I of course picked the Lucio Fulci's Zombie and you can read why if you head over to All Things Horror. There you'll see the other opinions from some top notch horror bloggers. All have great recommendations and I agree with a majority of their selections.
If I had to add more to my list, I'd definitely add what's already been mentioned. The Descent, Halloween, The Evil Dead and The Shining. All are solid picks.
What I'd also add are a few mainstream selections from my Top 10 Horror Movie list from last year. Zombieland, Let the Right One In, Trick R Treat and Orphan. Non horror fans scoff at "classic horror movies" so you won't be able to convince them to watch something from the slasher 80s or the supernatural 70s. Subtitled? Fughedaboutitt.
I think the criteria has to be the following for non horror peeps:
- 90 minutes max
- One star they recognize
- If it has a zombie, vampire or werewolf it will probably be tolerated
- Most non horror people always think they are seeing a "scary movie" which is different than a horror movie. It's your duty to recognize what they like and show them what's appropriate
- If there are boobs and gore, it will usually fly but this might not be for everyone
- Non horror fans usually think whispering children is scary
- Horror comedies are always a solid choice. It's something familiar to them and something that's not. Like and Irish coffee.
- If you are watching a scary movie make sure it's in the dark. Atmosphere is everything.
- Your non horror fan will never be completely turned over to the dark side. So sometimes you just gotta give up.