The Longest Yard is about former popular professional quarterback Paul Crewe who is sent to prison. He decides to create a makeshift team of inmates to face off against a team of prison guards in a game of football.
Release Years: 1974, 2005
Rating: R (1974), PG-13 (2005)
Length: 121m (1974), 113m (2005)
For more information, view its pages at the Internet Movie Database (1974 and 2005) and Rotten Tomatoes (1974 and 2005) or purchase it from Amazon.
- Aggression: Both the inmate and guard teams are extremely aggressive towards each other when playing.
- Coaching: Paul (played by Adam Sandler) coaches the inmates despite many of them not knowing much about football.
- Motivation: Paul uses a variety of tactics to motivate his team, but none is more motivating then the mean prison warden.
- Substance Abuse: A major alcohol problem at the beginning of the movie was the reason the quarterback was imprisoned.
- Teamwork: The inmates helped each other in many ways to pull off the win against the prison guards.
- Underdogs: The inmates' football team is clearly the underdog in the movie; at first they don't even believe they have a chance at winning.