Subscribe via e-mail

infolinks

20100316

Splatter Disco (Review)

Splatter Disco

Splatter Disco (2007)

Directed by Richard Griffin

Richard Griffin and his Scorpio Film Releasing are relatively new to me. I had never heard of his films until I stumbled upon Nun of That (review here). So when I won a contest, I got some other Griffin films as well which included Creature from the Hillbilly Lagoon (not gonna review because I've been told if you don't have anything good to say....), Feeding the Masses (possible review upcoming) and this flick.

Well it was billed as "The First Slasher Musical" so I was hoping that I'd see some musical numbers in the same vain as Poultrygeist: Chicken of the Dead.

But not everything that's hyped can live up to the billing. Splatter Disco has some splatter, some disco and some big name stars (see Ken Foree and Debbie Rochon). It's got some decent acting, a slasher on the prowl and something I didn't expect. Furries!

Really furries?

Boring Plot-O-Matic

Kent Chubb thinks life couldn't possibly get any worse when the mayor, his sociopath mother (Lynn Lowry), and the city council threaten to close down his nightclub Den O' Iniquity for "acts of perversion." Enlisting the help of his father, Shank Chubb (Ken Foree), Kent and club regulars attempt to educate the town to the community service function of the club: providing a safe and welcoming environment for all the oddball local citizens. Little do they know a serial killer has begun to pick off club employees one by one, and now even Kent's acid-flashback-prone hippie attorney can't help them out of this bloody mess...or keep his eyes off Kent's gorgeous wife (Debbie Rochon).

Awesome Review-O-Matic

I'm not explaining plot. I mean it's right up there. As we meet all the deviant characters of the Den O Iniquity, they are pretty interesting. Lots of them are regulars in Griffin films (many of them are in Nun of That).

So who are these degenerates?

  1. Kent: Our Mr. Manager who wants to keep his club open so all these fetishers have a place to go
  2. His dad Shank: the owner of the club and a sick old dancing man
  3. Danni: A Furry who wants to be loved
  4. Echo: He repeats the last line you say and is secretly in love with Danni
  5. A bunch of other misfits
As the mayor's mom tries to shut down the club, the clubers start to get picked off one by one. Not much to report on splatter. There's a few oozey blood, but it's the PG-13 variety. But that's not important. There are about 5 musical numbers in Splatter Disco. The first one is the only one that I found actually fun. It has furries. So check it out below (not sure why the audio is unsynced)





The other musical numbers are a lawyer's lament, a few dance numbers, a Ken Foree number and something else that I don't remember. All of these are unremarkable. I had thought after the Furries number which I thought was hilarious we'd get more of the same. Well there's more gibberish and talk than singing in Splatter Disco.

Some of the dialogue is goofy Troma funny and it definitely has that feel. But the movie drags and there's serious gaps between musical scenes. Even the supposed twist only leads to a yaaaaaaaaaaaawn ending. Good performances overall by the cast and Sarah Nicklin is next door neighbor hot. Having seen this after Nun of That may have made me jaded but I had high expectations for this one.

I mean a slasher musical is a great concept. But unfortunately the music portion was a major fail. The worst part of the movie is now I got the damn Furries lyrics stuck in my head. Arghhhh!

I think these are the lyrics.

Chimpanzees in the zoo do it
Some courageous kangaroos do it
Let's do it, let's fall in love

???? do it
Bees do it
Even educated fleas do it
Let's do it, let's fall in love

I'm sure giraffes on the slide do it
Every hippotamus do it
Let's do it, let's fall in love.........


The other lyrics are pretty funny as it goes along.

Rating:
1/2

Check out the trailer



0 comments: